Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Making Sauerkraut

I decided to make some sauerkraut - I haven't made any in years. It smells awful while it is making - but it is so much tastier than what you buy in the store. For some, it might be better to buy it - making it isn't for everyone - some would prefer not to see how what it goes through to become kraut!


I shredded up 5 lbs of cabbage (4 heads)


Sprinkle with salt. I used 3 tablespoons for the 5 lbs.


Make sure you use canning and pickling salt - do not use table salt!


After it was salted, I packed it into 2 small crocks. I prefer the small crocks so I can keep them on my kitchen counter and keep an eye on it. I put plates on them to weight them down. Pack it in tight.


4 hours later, it all fit into one crock - the salt pulls a lot of liquid out. You want to keep the plate on top weighted down to keep the cabbage under the liquid.

I tried to get a picture tonight of it 5 days later, but my cheap camera wouldn't take a good one. It is turning dark and getting a little smelly. That is normal. As it ferments, a scum forms on top that you want to take off daily. Other than that, you just keep it at room temperature until it is as fermented as you like. I will try and get a few more pictures of it as it is fermenting.

1 comment:

Connie said...

Mmmmmm...homemade sauerkraut! I can almost smell it from here. I love it's salty sour taste.