Sunday, July 08, 2007

Look what you can make from your garden



Not all of the ingredients came from my garden. I joined a CSA and some of the veggies were in this week's box. I wish I grew enough veggies so I didn't have to buy any, but sadly my suburban lot won't allow that - so a CSA is the next best thing.

Kathi’s July Vegetable Soup

2 tablespoons gfcf margarine (or butter if you are not gfcf)
½ cup minced onions
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 baby bok choy, thinly sliced
4 cups chicken stock (use vegetable stock if you are vegetarian)
2 cups water
1 large potato, peeled and diced
1 carrot, peeled and grated
2 kohlrabies
1 head broccoli
½ teaspoon fresh ginger root, grated
Fresh herbs from the garden – I used parsley, cilantro, oregano and basil – I didn’t measure, just a small amount of each
Salt and pepper
2 ounces bean threads, softened (if you aren’t gfcf you could use vermicelli)

Sautee onions and garlic in margarine until soft

Add the rest of the ingredients except the bean threads. Bring to boil and then turn down and simmer for 25 minutes.

Add softened bean threads and cook another 10 minutes.

2 comments:

Connie said...

Oh, that soup just looks soooo good! I can almost smell and taste it. Nothing beats fresh garden veggies for delicious meals.

Kathi said...

Thanks Connie - I wish you could taste it - it was really tasty.