Sunday, July 08, 2007

Currant Pie

Someone suggested that I make a currant pie with all of my currants. I haven't ever had a currant pie - it was wonderful - I can't believe I never thought of making a pie with them before!

Here it is before it went in the oven:


And here is it looking beautiful coming out:


And here is the recipe I used: I am gfcf (gluten free and casien/dairy free) - so just substitute a normal pie crust if you are not. I also am trying to use all natural/organic items so I am avoiding white refined sugar as much as possible. Enjoy!

Currant Pie

2 uncooked pie crusts (I made mine using a mix from Miss Robens)
4 cups fresh currants
¼ cup tapioca
½ cup raw honey*
2 tablespoons margarine melted (I used Earth Balance Sticks)
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Roll out ½ of the pastry and line a pie plate (I only cook in glass pie plates – using aluminum is not good for your health)

In a medium bowl mix currants, tapioca, honey, margarine, cinnamon and nutmeg

Pour mixture into pie crust

Roll out remaining dough and place over the filling – or cut into strips and place on pie lattice style. Trim, seal and crimp edges – if you put a solid top crust on, be sure and cut steam vents in it.

Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees F and bake for 45 to 60 minutes more. Cool to room temperature on a wire rack before serving.

*Adjust the amount of honey to your preferred level of sweetness

1 comment:

The Platts et al said...

I plan to try your black currant pie recipe. I came across it by trying to find out how to 'trim' the bush. Do you know if the bush can be trained to grow like a tree? Also, how far back can the bush be cut without damage?

Last year, I made black currant muffins, using ground oatmeal to substitute for some of the quantity of flour (for more nourishment and even better flavor..