Sunday, July 08, 2007

Currant Sorbet


It was also suggested that I try sorbet so I did. I am trying to avoid using processed white sugar or corn syrup in my creations - so I used Brown Rice Syrup and Maple Syrup. It wasn't bad, but you can taste the Rice Syrup a little too strongly - next time I think I'll do 1/2 cup of each instead of what's listed.

Currant Sorbet

2 cups currant juice
1 cup brown rice syrup
¼ cup maple syrup

To make currant juice – place currants in sauce pan and crush – do not add water. Bring to a boil. Turn off, cover and let cool. When cool strain through a jelly bag or several layers of cheesecloth.

To make sorbet: Mix all ingredients together – make sure the currant juice is cold or at least room temperature. Place in ice cream maker and process until desired consistency – about 40 minutes.

2 comments:

Dirty Fingernails said...

Do you grow your own currants??

Kathi said...

Yes. I have 3 Red Lake Currant Bushes.