Thursday, August 03, 2006

Rain vs. Watering

It is amazing what a little rain can do - OK, maybe a lot of rain in the middle of a drought. But I am always amazed that no matter how much you water and how well you think your garden looks, it always looks better after a good rain. I haven't been watering the lawn during the drought, so I am not surprised to see it greening up so nicely after this soaking - but I have been taking such good care of the garden and everything there just seems to have grown a foot over night and be so much greener. I have not researched this, but I imagine that when we water we water primarily the roots and when it rains, the entire plant gets drenched and the plants probably need that all over watering. We also had a drop in temperature with this recent rain and I am sure that is also helping the plants be less stressed - temperatures were 15 to 20 degrees cooler on Tuesday than Monday. The beans that had stopped flowering now have some flowers so maybe I will get some more beans. The garden just looks lusher, happier and more alive this week. Today will be sunny again - the rain is done. High in the mid 80s. I can handle that. I just wish I had time to get out in the garden and pull some weeds while the ground is still wet. Maybe tonight after work......

1 comment:

David (Snappy) said...

We have had three days of rain now, and things are looking very lush.I water the borders but never the grass.It is tough and if it goes brown or yellow its only the top layer.Rain brings forth new green growth.