Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Making Fruit Leathers (Fruit Roll Ups)

I made fruit leathers this past weekend. The first batch I am sure of many this year. They are really quite simple to make.

You just take fruit puree - sweeten it to your taste - add optional spices - and dry in a dehydrator or on plastic wrap lined cookie sheets in a very low oven (150 degrees at the most) until done.

I used plums as the main ingredient in these. I added a handful of raspberries, a handful of currants and 1/2 of an apple as well as some raw sugar and cinnamon.

Here they are almost dry in my dehydrator.

They are ready when you can easily pull them up from the plastic like this.

I cut them into wedges.

I stacked the wedges with wax paper between - who needs evil red 40 - these are a nice bright red without anything artificial added!

2 comments:

Connie said...

Gorgeous fruit leather, Kathi! I used to make this when my kids were young. I have square dehydrator trays, so would cut the fruit leather in rectangular pieces and then roll them up, lengthwise. Great snack for anytime.

Kathi said...

And so much healthier for the kiddos than that crap they sell in the stores full of everything but fruit!