Tuesday, April 22, 2008

That's my kid! An Earth Day Story.

If there is one thing my kid is good at it is listening to every little thing even when you think he's not. I can't tell you how many times something that I have said to someone else has come out of his little mouth - and I might add, that is not always a good thing! I like to think that I am always aware of tiny ears listening and watch what I say but I don't know if that is always the case. But I digress - this time he has been listening to good things.

He was playing in his room on Sunday with his cousin Michael and Vinny from next door. The boys, ages 7, 8 and 9 were discussing Earth Day. I'm sure it is something that all three of them have been talking about in school. Here is where the repeating stuff from my mouth comes in - I heard Andy say "This is what I don't get about Earth Day - shouldn't every day be Earth Day? It is cool that there is one day dedicated to taking care of the earth, but don't we live on this earth every day - shouldn't every day be Earth Day?" Even though I know my kid does this, it still takes me back to hear by words tumble out of his mouth almost word for word as I've said them to someone else. I don't think I have even discussed Earth Day with Andy since taking care of the Earth is something we do every day.

He got those boys thinking. They talked about Earth Day for a long time and Andy even walked them out back to where I had just planted the potatoes and onions and told them that HIS MOM practices Earth Day every day. He wanted to give each of the boys a plant from the basement but I told him they could come and visit them once they are in the garden and help take care of them. I was just afraid if they took a tomato plant home it would not get planted at the proper time and end up dying. They can eat from my garden any time.

Happy Earth Day to my fellow gardeners. May every day be Earth Day!

No comments: