Wednesday, September 05, 2007

What's new in my garden

I have been so busy getting Andy ready for school that I haven't had much time to post. I have taken a few pictures but haven't gotten around to doing much. I'm hoping that now that Andy is in school (school started yesterday) that I will have time to catch up on a few things and find a new job. I am happy to report that Andy had a great first day of second grade yesterday - and rode the school bus for the first time since PreK.


Have a lot of bell peppers in your garden? Make some stuffed bell peppers. I cut my the long way in half instead of stuffing a whole pepper since they were so huge (portion control!) and they turned out wonderful.


Time to start a second batch of sauerkraut. This time I am using red cabbage - it sure looks pretty - I wonder if it will taste any different. I've never made it with red cabbage before. Here it is sliced up and salted (3 tablspoons of salt to 5 lbs of cabbage).


You want to weight down the cabbage so the water is pulled out and comes up and covers it. I find a plate weighted down with a mason jar full of water works well. I have it in one of my stainless steel stock pots to start with - within a few hours it will be compacted enough to transfer to a small crock.


A day's harvest of cucumbers. Dan will eat a few but Andy won't touch them and I can't eat this many every day. The neighbors have started hiding when they see me coming with cukes in my hands so I have started giving them away on freecycle. Freecycle is a great way to get rid of excess garden produce and plants that need dividing, etc - or to find some. Check out your local freecycle if you aren't familiar with them.


The fall raspberries are now coming nicely. Here is yesterday's harvest.

1 comment:

Connie said...

I am continually amazed at how productive your garden is! Freecycle is a great idea for the extras you can't use.