Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Today's harvest Wednesday 9/19/07



Things might be slowing down now that it is mid September - but the garden is still producing a little every day. I know I should probably pull up the cucumbers, tomatoes and green beans, but I hate to do that when they are still producing. Winter will catch me with things not taken care of - but I will continue to enjoy garden goodness until the last minute. Actually we have had some frost warnings already this year - but my plants survived just fine - and I did not cover them. The CSA I get veggies from did lose most of their warm weather crops to frost last week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why do you pull up plants whether they're producing or not? Just curious :)

Kathi said...

Hi Perri,
I pull up the old plants to have room to plant new ones. By doing it in the fall, you can compost and get rid of any plant parts that might be diseased so the new plants can get off to a good start. The plants are dying - it is time to follow nature's cues and put the garden to bed for the winter.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the response. I have sugar peas and beans still fruiting for me, but slowing way down. I can see the writing on the wall :( Will you replant anything this fall? I'm experimenting with greens and broccoli-want to try that 4 season gardening