Monday, October 23, 2006

Roasted Hot Pepper Soup

I spent the weekend taking care of my hot peppers that I picked a week ago before they spoiled. I roasted some and froze them. I roast peppers in the oven - preheat to 450 degrees and then lay them out on a roasting pan and turn frequently until they blister. I cut little slits in the peppers first to let steam escape. When they are all nicely blistered, I remove them from the oven and place them in a zip lock baggie and close them up and let them cool. Once they are cool, pull the tops off and get the seeds out (the seed have most of the heat) and you should be able to peel them easily. Remember to use rubber gloves when handling peppers (and don't touch your eyes!).

I made this soup from some of my roasted peppers. It packs a kick - so watch out, but it was creamy and every so tasty!

Kathi’s Roasted Hot Pepper Soup
4 mild roasted hot peppers (use less if they are hot – or substitute a couple of bell peppers)
2 medium onions – diced or sliced
8 diced potatoes
4 cups milk (or milk substitute – I used Dari Free)
4 cups chicken broth
4 tablespoons margarine (or butter), divided
Seasonings to taste
Parmesan cheese or cheese substitute (I used a sub)

Sauté onions in 2 tablespoons of margarine until translucent.
Add milk, chicken broth, and the rest of the margarine and heat over medium heat until close to boiling.
Add potatoes and peppers and cook until potatoes are tender.
Using a hand held blender (or carefully transfer liquid small portion at a time to a blender – but be careful with hot stuff in a blender), blend until everything is creamy.
Add salt and pepper to taste and adjust thickness by adding more stock or milk if needed.
Add the parmesan cheese.

No comments: