Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Apple Spice Cake


Here is a picture of an apple spice cake that I made for a birthday at work. Made with fresh apples. Yum Yum.

Apple Spice Cake
4 ½ cups peeled, chopped apples
2 to 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (or Fruit Fresh)
3/4 cup vegetable oil (I used canola)
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 ½ cups flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill GF all purpose flour)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon allspice
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon cloves
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 13 x 9 inch pan. Sprinkle apples with lemon juice or fruit fresh – it is just to keep the apples from darkening. Cover and set aside. Beat oil with the sugar and eggs until creamy. Sift flour with salt, baking soda, baking powder and spices. Gradually beat into oil mixture. Beat in vanilla extract (batter will be very stiff). Fold in apples – the batter will get easier to mix as you get the apples mixed in. Pour (spread – it is thick) into pan. Bake 50-55 minutes or until cake tests done with a toothpick in the center.

I cut the apples into little pieces, but I think shredding them like you do carrots for a carrot cake would work also. I think this would also be good with pecans.

This makes a very large cake; it filled my pan up totally – if your pan is a little small, you might want to make a half dozen cupcakes so the pan doesn’t overflow.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Petunia's Gardener said...

Thanks for the idea and the recipe. I have apples to use so I'll give it a try.

Jackie's Garden said...

Kathi, I think I'll try your recipe. Liked visiting your gardening blog - thanks.

Anonymous said...

lyn

Is the Icing home made and if so would you do the recipe for us.

thanks~

Kathi said...

The icing is just 2 tablespoons margarine or butter softened. Add powdered sugar - I never measure - about two cups. Add a couple of tablespoons of milk or milk substitute. If too thin, add more sugar, if too thick add more milk.