Sunday, April 05, 2009

Sunday, April 5, 2009

This is the scene outside this morning. Hard to believe that I had 4 little boys playing out there yesterday without any coats or boots on! Luckily the snow this time of year does not last very long. Andy is off school for spring break and the weather is actually supposed to be nice - warm and sunny later in the week. I'm hoping for a trip to the zoo during the week.

Meanwhile down in the basement, the seedlings are coming along nicely. They will be ready when the garden is.

The cabbage family plants and lettuce are doing the best.

Even the tomatoes are looking nice. The only things that have not sprouted yet are the peppers and the chives. I don't know why I can't grow chives - I used to have beautiful chives but I have had no luck at all growing them lately. I have tried direct sowing and starting under lights. I have not given up on them yet - but if they don't sprout soon, I may need to do some research on what I might be doing wrong.

3 comments:

Connie said...

Hi Kathi - Snow is not so exciting this time of year, is it? We had our first real warm sunny day today and I loved being in the garden. Hopefully it will be heading your way soon.
Is your chive seed fresh? All seeds of the allium family lose their viability rather quickly. I save seed from my own plants, and winter sow them. They seem to like the cooler germination temps.

Kathi said...

Hi Connie,
The seed I have used in the past might not have been fresh, I'm not sure I obtained it from a variety of sources so I don't know. This year I purchased fresh seed - so maybe it will germinate yet.

The snow is mostly gone already 24 hours later. It should be nice and sunny and in the 50s by Thursday. Such is the unpredictability of the spring in the north!

Priscilla @ Homegrown Delight said...

Hi, I'm from CA and recently move to the mountains in Idyllwild CA with my hubby. It's snowing hard right now and I'm also growing veggies & flowers from seeds indoors under T5 grow light that looks like yours. It has been 3 weeks since I started with leaf lettuce, romaine, parsley, cilantro, leek, lobelia, coleus, and chives that sprouted. My leaf lettuce and chives didn't do too well so I sowed them again. It has been a few days and my roma and cherry tomatoes seems to be doing well, still waiting for jalapenos. I'm a beginner with planting from seeds and it's testing my patience! How do I know if everything is growing normally and how long does it take until I see true leaves? Thanks!