Friday, April 23, 2010

I just LOVE this time of year!

What's not to love about spring? Especially an early spring like this year. It is just so heartwarming to witness everything in nature coming back to life. Hope springs eternal this time of year.

I'm still afraid to plant too much for fear that winter might come back but I have planted a lot more than in previous years.

Look at those beautiful pea plants. They are doing so great. Rain is coming in this evening and we are going to have a rainy weekend which is going to make those plants really start to climb.

The lettuce plants actually look like lettuce now. Yum yum - those delectable babies are going to welcome the rain as well.

I just planted the onion plants so they don't look so hot but give them a week and they will bounce right back.

What's this? Blossoms on my replacement peach tree that I just planted last year? Wow - I sure didn't expect that this year. We'll see if any of them actually set any fruit. That would be a pleasant surprise. I guess I know the new tree is healthy.

My strawberries are also blooming. It won't be long and we will be enjoying fresh everything from the garden.
I have also planted carrots outside. The peppers I planted inside never came up and it is too late now to try and plant more so I am just going to buy pepper plants this year. Everything else that is started indoors is thriving.
Did I mention how much I LOVE spring? I really do. Even if my allergies don't!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Kathy! Your garden looks great! How do you keep the weeds away? I'm surprised to see your pea garden weed free!

I just love spring too! My spinach, radishes, mustards,lettuce, aragula and swiss chard are starting to show 1-2 leaves. Plum trees are in full bloom and apples are starting to blossom. I agree that eating everything fresh from the garden feels like heaven!

Pp

Kathi said...

It is a raised bed garden and I plant things pretty close together and that keeps the weeds away - sort of a postage stamp garden. I use lots of compost too and I think that helps keep the weeds down. There will be some later in the season but right now it is pretty weed free.

Connie said...

Hi Kathi! So nice to see your garden full of green so early in the season. I am just now eating my first lettuce and it is soooo good!!

Kathi said...

I'm sooooooo jealous Connie! I can't wait! I know it won't be long but the first lettuce of the season is always the best!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathi,

I was reading through your old entries and noticed that you mentioned freezing cut beans in glass canning jars. What kind of lids do you use(in the freezer) and how long does it take to thaw it out? Just curious as to why you don't use ziplock freezer bags? Thanks in advance for your help.

Your blogs are amazing and provide a ton of info to newbies like me! Keep up the good work!

Thanks!
Pp

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathi,

I was reading through your old entries and noticed that you mentioned freezing cut beans in glass canning jars. What kind of lids do you use(in the freezer) and how long does it take to thaw it out? Just curious as to why you don't use ziplock freezer bags? Thanks in advance for your help.

Your blogs are amazing and provide a ton of info to newbies like me! Keep up the good work!

Thanks!
Pp

Kathi said...

I believe that plastic is bad for us and the enviroment. A little is probably okay - and to totally eliminate plastic is probably impossible - but I am starting with no plastic in contact with food products. I am not there yet - but I am mostly there (and this from a former tupperware lady!)

I don't thaw them - I just cook them frozen.

And thank you for your wonderful comments.