Friday, October 05, 2007

Occupational hazzards of gardening

At least if you have an apple tree that is. I've been taking advantage of the nice weather and getting the last of the apples picked so I can get them all canned.

Yesterday the occupational hazzard was bees. I got stung 7 times! Luckily I'm not allergic, but two of them swelled up pretty good. I decided I needed to hang up another of the Raid Yellow Jacket Traps - unfortunately they only work on yellow jackets and there were also hornets around. Good to have a kid that sees things on a different level - Andy spotted a couple of nests under the steps leading to our storage in the upper part of our garage. So we sprayed the nests as well.

Today it rained most of the day, but it cleared up in the afternoon and I thought I'd get out there again. There weren't anywhere near as many bees around so I thought I could get the rest of the apples picked. All of the apples that I could reach with the apple picker from the ground had been picked so it was time to get out the ladder. We have a very nice and sturdy ladder, but being up a little higher always makes me nervous. Can you guess what's coming? I lost my balance trying to hook the picker on an apple and fell. Andy was so good - he used to not understand when someone is hurt (he has autism remember), but he didn't hesitate - he ran inside right away to get his Daddy.

I'm okay. But I'm sore. I'm sitting here with ice on my ankle because it hurts, but it's not swollen and there is no bruise. I have several bruises elsewhere and my shoulder hurts too. Luckily I only fell about 3 or 4 feet.

Maybe I'll get the rest of the apples tomorrow - or maybe I'll leave them to come down naturally and just decide I've picked enough. I guess I'll wait and see how sore I feel tomorrow.

No comments: