Sunday, February 25, 2007

Garden goodness in the middle of winter


We got over a foot of snow this weekend. What is better on a snow day than Chili? It's even better when it's made from things grown in your own garden.


I started by cooking dried beans in the slow cooker. I soaked them overnight - rinsed them and covered with cold water and cooked on low for about 5 hours. I use a variety of beans - this time I used Kidney beans, Garbanzo beans, black eyed peas, pinto beans, small red beans and black beans. I usually do a cup of the kidney beans, a half cup of garbanzos and 1/4 cup (dried of course) of all of the others. You could use canned beans as well - I don't buy anything canned in aluminum if I can avoid it myself.



I chopped up one onion and sliced boneless chicken breasts into bite size pieces. I used 3 chicken breasts today. I never seem to use the same amount or measure much when I cook.




Heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and cook chicken until done. Then add the onions and saute until translucent.




Add 2 quart jars of stewed tomates and 2 pint jars of tomato sauce. I also added about a quarter of a jar of canned green chilis. I sprinked in some dried garlic and 4 tablespoons of chili powder. Add 2 cups of chicken broth and salt to taste - I added one large palmful - probably about a tablespoon.


Drain the beans and add them to the pot. Stir and heat through. We like to crush corn chips on top when we eat it.

This made a pretty large stock pot full - somewhere between 6 & 8 quarts of chili - but it won't go to waste - it will be eaten this week.

1 comment:

Gotta Garden said...

Looks very tasty! That is so wonderful that you can; I'm sure you could taste the sunshine!